Early immigrants include: The motto was originally a war cry or slogan. Around 60 are on the membership rolls at present with many of them being Couple or Family Memberships. WebScottish History of The Cochrane Family In the beginning There are several theories surrounding the origin of the Cochrane clan. Walter Cochrane was the first record of the more popular spelling used today in 1262. Search for products or designs See all results for "" Search results for "" Search results for "" in See All Results Sign in Shopping Cart (0 items) View Cart (0 items) 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed Reproduction. Registrations submitted after the August 1, 2022 deadline will not be accepted. How long have you been involved in the Clan and in what capacity? I have been a commissioner since 2005. When I became involved we had shrunk to very few members with only 4 or 5 state commissioners. Rodger is a published author on clan histories and Amanda is a fully trained Kilt-maker. Essential Tartan Sash A massive array of clan, district & Irish mediumweight tartans to choose from. [7][8] Many Cochranes lived in Winedham New Hampshire. elem.type = "text/javascript"; We do not hold spaces. In May 1669 he was elevated again and became the Earl of Dundonald, firmly establishing the Cochranes at the top end of Scotlands nobility. Would like to fill in our familys history, we have been through a whole lot, I think we have an interesting timeline here in Georgia, dont want us to be forgotten down here ahah! We use cookies to enhance your user experience. Our final Festival this took place in Estes Park Colorado in Sept. The Longs Peak Scottish/Irish Festival . (function() { (d.head || d.body).appendChild(s); JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. '//www.googletagmanager.com/gtm.js?id='+i+dl;f.parentNode.insertBefore(j,f); [1] There are a number of spelling variations including Cochran, Cockren, and Coughran. My grandfather and father were both very fond of telling the stories they knew about their ancestors and my grandfather had been a major help to his younger sister Aunt Pauline who wrote a two volume history of Cochrans starting with the ancestor who came to America from Northern Ireland in the 1740s. Thomas L Cochran, who arrived in Adelaide, Rosalie Cochran, who arrived in Wellington, New Zealand aboard the ship "Alfred The Great" in 1859, Mike Cochran (1936-2022), American journalist who worked for the Associated Press and the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, pallbearer at the funeral of Lee Harvey Oswald, Vincent Cochran (1988-2021), better known by his stage name Slim 400, German-born, American rapper who was shot and killed December 8, 2021, he was 33 years old, Cathleen Cochran Herasimchuk (1944-2021), American jurist, judge of the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals (2001-2015), William Thad Cochran (1937-2019), American attorney and politician who served as a United States Senator from Mississippi from 1978 to 2018, William Charles "Bill" Cochran (1934-2019), American politician, Democratic Member of the Indiana House of Representatives (1974-2008), Talvin Wayne Cochran (1939-2017), American soul singer, known as The White Knight of Soul, Elizabeth Jane Cochran (1864-1922), birth name of Elizabeth Cochrane Seaman, better known as Nellie Bly, an American journalist, writer, industrialist, inventor, and a charity worker, best known for her record-breaking trip around the world in 72 days, in emulation of Jules Verne's fictional character Phileas Fogg, Thomas "Tim" Daniel Cochran (1955-2014), American professor of Mathematics at Rice University specializing in topology, especially low-dimensional topology, the theory of knots and links, Alexander Gilmore Cochran (1846-1928), American politician, US Congressman from Pennsylvania, Wayne Cochran (b. Mottoes first began to be shown with arms in the 14th and 15th centuries, but were not in general use until the 17th century. I know he was William James Cochrane, his father Mr and Mrs Cochrane had seven sons and three daughters. There are no remains of this castle at the site but a monument to commemorate the castle was built in 1896. Our current Chief Douglas Dundonald the 15th Earl of Dundonald is a direct descendant. The name Cochrane originates from a habitational name derived from the "Lowlands of Cochrane", near Paisley in Renfrewshire. There are many references to clans within the hundreds of historical pages on our site. This web page shows only a small excerpt of our Cochran research. Claymore Imports has a variety of clan badges, keychains, sporrans, and kilt accessories for Scots, Irishmen, and Welshmen. Robert II (born John) Stewart, King of Scots II I have been researching my family history and things that my father and uncles told me are being confirmed my fathers family apparently immigrated to Pennsylvania from Ireland in 1794 and settled around Pittsburgh my great great grandfather was a judge and mill owner his daughter from his second marriage was Elizabeth Jane Cochran she added the e to the end of her name she was the journalists nelli bly our family was from his first marriage from what i was told our family left Scotland to Ireland in 1570 i think they somehow were involved with Mary queen of scouts there is some documentation of this in the Presbyterian library in Philadelphia my great grandfather and great great uncle owned a large pottery businesses in the Trenton n.j. area that were sold to Koehler plumbing in 1925, My name is Fiona Cochrane. Later Cochranes would arrive from Scotland and England. Removing this item from your shopping cart will remove your associated sale items. his father In the very rare cases this happens we cover the cost of replacing your order. Together Scotland and England have the highest percentage of the Cochrane surname anywhere in the world. Address: 5136 W. Wren Ct., Visalia, CA 93291, "Virtute et Labor | By Valor and Exertion". They eventually moved to Boston, and now some of them live in Reston, Virginia. The estate passed to his brother, Sir William Cochrane of Cowdon, who in 1647 became Lord Cochrane of Ochiltree. 1548 14 July 1603 Cochran has appeared as Cochrane, Cochran, Cocrane, Cocran, Cochren, Cockram, Cockran, Cockren and many more. [2] We are delighted to offer a range of products and resources for the The Cochran Family including: 106 tartan products available in Cochran family tartans. 0 Review(s) View Product. The family continued to prosper, but there came a time when it almost died out. In 2008 I was appointed to the newly created position of President under the High Commissioner and headed up the organization of Clan Cochranes presence at the Gathering 2009. his father The Balmoral Kilt, Traditional 8 Yard Kilt and Flashes . I hope to find some distant Cochrans out there. Tom Cochran Colorado Commissioner, Design a site like this with WordPress.com, Visiting Our Past: Theres more to WNCs Scots than just the Highland Games, Colorado Scottish Festival and Rocky Mountain. Some of the earliest Cochranes in the United States came from County Antrim, Northern Ireland, in the early 18th century after obtaining a land grant from the Governor of Massachusetts. What I believe is that his wife Mary Jane Coughran BIRTH 1809 Fintona, Tyrone, Northern Ireland and DEATH 21 JAN 1905 Candelo, NSW, AUSTRALIA is the daughter of David A Coughran and Elizabeth Betsy Cotter. This duly came to pass when she married Alexander Blair, from Ayrshire. his father (function() { // REQUIRED CONFIGURATION VARIABLE: EDIT THE SHORTNAME BELOW If the space you request is already taken, we will get you as close as possible and let you know. Our usual Mix of Poetry, Music, food (especially // Replace PAGE_URL with your page's canonical URL variable Thus the oldest coats of arms generally do not include a motto. Cochrane. The popular belief, and one supported by Early recorded bearers of the surname are Waldeve de Coueran in 1262; William de Coughran in 1296; and Robert de Cochrane in about 1360. The festival will have all clan ticket packages will ready for pick up on Thursday, September 9. Free Shipping! Should you have any information we can use or you have a web his father Before long Robert Cochrane was the kings closest and most trusted advisor. After a re-organization in 2010 I became High Commissioner or Commissioner to the Chief as it is known now. sites by using our customised search engine, Electric Elizabeth Jane Cochran(e) "Nellie Bly" Daughter of Judge Michael Cochran and Mary Jane Kennedy Birth 5 May 1864 in Cochran's Mills, Armstrong County, PA Death 27 Jan 1922 in St. Mark's Hospital, New York City, New York, Cochran Family Coat of Arms from Scotland, Ida Cochran Haughton, author of Chronicles of the Cochrans. Mr. Timothy Cochran who was convicted in Middlesex. Scottish Clan Crest Dress Sporran. Clan Cochrane has been selected as the Honored Clan at the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games on July 6 - 9, 2023. Clan Cunningham is a Scottish clan. In most cases, they found the freedom and opportunity they sought. The Strathclyde-Briton people of ancient Scotland were the first to use the name Cochran. The tickets that are included in the tent fee. Scottish Clan Crest Lady's Brooch. * A lot of new member meet us at festivals but the web site and face book page are starting to make more contacts. var scpt = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; We would love to have members and commissioners in Canada and we would love to have representatives more states in the U.S. We would love to establish ways to encourage interest in Scottish and Scots Irish Culture in general and Cochrane history and genealogy in particular. }); Search just our WebSt. Scotland's Classified Directory, The * THE SECTION BELOW TO INSERT DYNAMIC VALUES FROM YOUR $279.99. It was also adopted as an anglicisation by some Corcoran families.[6]. his father I plan on visiting Ireland and Scotland this coming Spring and am hoping to learn more about Clan Cochran(e). $29.99. Land was often available and the American War of Independence allowed Scots an opportunity to solidify their independence from the English crown. this.page.url = PAGE_URL; his father There was increasing pressure on Cochrane to return the currency to the old silver standard but he refused, saying, The day I am hanged they may be called in; not sooner. 1736 Half-pay Alain FitzFlaald Great grandson of General Richard Ellis Cochran. var elem = document.createElement('script'); Cochranes are a lowland clan originating in the lands around Paisley, Scotland. This reduced the currencys value, but Cochrane produced a proclamation instructing the populace that this new coin was equal in value to the old silver coin. We look forward to year two. Are you sure you want to delete this item from your shopping cart? Legend has it we are descended from a Viking raider who decided to stay in Scotland in the 900s. Coveran, which was a Norman name, eventually evolved into Cochrane. Befitting a family with such strong naval tradition, a family legend has it that the Cochrane ancestry goes back to a Viking invader who settled in Renfrewshire sometime between the 8th and 10th centuries. Use the search engine provided here to locate further information on your clan. Choose a badge or pendant for everyday wear. John C Cochran WebCOCHRAN CLAN BADGE - COCHRAN SCOTTISH CLAN CREST Spelling Variations of the Distinguished Name Cochran Achern, Achern, Ackran, Ackrand, Ackrane, Ackrant, Please contact the Clan Chairman Paul Bell for Availability. Walter Stewart was the third son of the Lord High Steward of Scotland, who was the personal representative of the King of Scotland and, as such one of the most powerful men in the land. Legend has it we are descended from a Viking raider who decided to stay in Scotland in the 900s. Price Starts At. Touch device users, explore by touch or with swipe gestures. pageTracker._trackPageview(); See Terms of Use for details. Though itall we enjoyed sharing Scottish and Irish tunes with audiences young and old. HRH Alexander Stewart 4th High Steward of Scotland, 4Th High Steward his father Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. In 1576 William Cochrane of that Ilk was granted a charter by Queen Mary confirming his ownership of the lands of Cochran. As the persecution of Clan families continued, they sailed for North America in increasing numbers. Please enable JavaScript to view the John Lennox Lord Maxwell If you have any questions, feel free to contact us. Cochrane was stunned by this behaviour and asked his assailants if they were jesting. (800) 368-8633 [email protected]. Mottoes seldom form part of the grant of arms: Under most heraldic authorities, a motto is an optional component of the coat of arms, and can be added to or changed at will; many families have chosen not to display a motto. cannot be used without permission! Cochrane and his companions were then frog-marched to a nearby bridge and hanged. qacct:"p-a3iOnAvnvZ9sY" The young man on the left may well be Robert Scott Cochran, Michael's oldest son. scpt.parentNode.insertBefore(elem, scpt); WebCochrane is a surname with multiple independent origins, two Scottish and one Irish. Marion Elizabeth stuart stewart [CDATA[ new Date().getTime(),event:'gtm.js'});var f=d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0], I think the org Clan Cochrane of North America may have an extensive tree dating back to the earliest known Cochran(e). Listed on Nov 7, 2022 But their Lordships were not kidding and furthermore warned Cochrane that he had been abusing his power for far too long and was now about to be punished. We want to be apart of Bannockburn Celebrations in Scotland in 2014. Spaces will be assigned by the date and timestamp of your online registration. his father this.page.identifier = PAGE_IDENTIFIER; In common with most Scots they simplified their Norman name and became simply Cochran. In the United States, the name Cochran is the 507th most popular surname with an estimated 57,201 people with that name. In November 2007 after the completion of some restoration the castle was open to the public. @2020 Clan Cochrane Society of North America. Clan Cochrane in North America has been around for about 20 years. One of the Scottish names derives from a place in Scotland; the Irish surname and the other james robert Cochran The Cochran family lived in Renfrewshire, where they took on the name of the lands of Cochrane in the parish of Paisley, near Glasgow. I have tried (without success so far) to find the original of this photo, because it's the only one I've seen of my ggg- grandmother, Catherine Murphy Cochran. The name appears in documents in the 1200s and the first Cochrane raised to the peerage was William Cochrane in 1669 for his support of Charles II. The Balmoral Kilt, Traditional 8 Yard Kilt and Flashes. Facebook or Yahoo. I am from the state of Georgia, I would love to get the old Cochran record out and link up to craft a family tree with everyone. Thomas Cochrane 1775-1860 Westminster Abbey grave stone - a family member. As we are at the end October and the first big snow fall has hit us, Its time to pack up the Festival gear and reflect on another year. }; James Seldon Cochran Cochrane Clan. Cochrane Clan Motto: Virtute Et Labore (By valour and exertion). Cochrane Clan History: The surname derives from the lands of Cochrane ( Old Coueran) in Paisley, Renfrewshire, although there is an apocryphal legend that it originates from two Gaelic words which, when translated into English, mean 'the roar of the battle.'. There is no such thing as a family coat of arms The arms represented below are COICHRAINE CAWCHRIN COCHROUNE COACHRIN COCHREN COCHREIN COCHRANE COHERN s.src = 'https://escotland.disqus.com/embed.js'; Cochrane sported a black velvet riding suit with a gold chain round his neck and a golden bugle horn hanging from his side. his father The Earl then granted the church of Kilcalmonell to the monks of Paisley. It was a position which opened him up to all sorts of bribes and its understood he helped himself to a great many. He became the first Earl of Dundonald and hereditary chief of Clan Cochrane. Sir John STEWART I know my heritage is largely Scottish so think William could have Scottish parents. j=d.createElement(s),dl=l!='dataLayer'? Emigration to New Zealand followed in the footsteps of the European explorers, such as Captain Cook (1769-70): first came sealers, whalers, missionaries, and traders. One discount per item, best discount applies. Authentic Scottish fabrics in the Cochran tartan. Our objectives are to extend the links of kinship and friendship between Cameron Micheal Cochran By 1297 the family name had changed to Cochran and Baron William de Cochran was a signatory on King Edwards Ragman Rolls. You must go through the festival office to make reservations.ALL Additional Tickets, camping spaces, and Non-competing dog tags MUST be purchased at: www.scotfest.com or by calling the Festival Office at 970-586-6308. our FREE Electric Scotland Weekly Newsletter, Visit our Scottish Clan Crest Kilt Pins. However, the first contemporary record of the clan chiefs is in the thirteenth century. Andrew Cochrane entered the tea trade early 1880s & by 1914 had a chain of nearly 100 grocery shops in & around the City of Glasgow. After the 14th Earl met Michael Cochrane, the former High commissioner and gave him the charge of establishing the clan organization here. See more ideas about cochrane, clan, scottish heritage. var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-249123-12"); $59.99. There is conflicting data around his parents vs his wifes parents. Clan Thomas Cochrane 1775-1860 Westminster Abbey grave stone - a family member. We met Cochranes from all over the world. COWRAN COUGHRAN, [We're always looking for more information We seem to be strong in the South, but are growing in the west and in New England. When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. There is of course much more to the history and there is great information on the Clan Cochrane Web Site. The historic seat of the clan is Auchindoun Castle located in Auchindoun, Banffshire. There have been ups and downs. '&l='+l:'';j.async=true;j.src= for their donation of delicious shortbread cookies! Set by the GDPR Cookie Consent plugin, this cookie is var _qevents = _qevents || []; with any of these companies then you can create an account Our usual Mix of Poetry, Music, food (especially haggis) and Scottish country dance was made even more special by our special guests Immediate Past President of the Colorado Saint Andrews Society, Timm Herrod and his wife Jennifer. his father WebCochrane Clan Crest: A Horse passant argent. At that point a deputation from the church went to the nearby camp of King James and snatched away his other cronies, whom they despised. } catch(err) {}. */ William de Coughran of Lanark swore an oath of allegiance to King Edward I of England during his short conquest of Scotland in 1296. his father [CDATA[ my name is megann cochran, daughter of dick cochran grand daughter of amos cochran and ida cochran great grand daughter of jesse cochran. In 1949 the family broke up the property and sold the estate, only to repurchase it in 1962. One possibility is that it is derived from the Welsh coch meaning "red"; however this theory is not supported by the early spelling of the name Coueran. Downloadable Monthly Newsletter filled with updates from the Highland Games throughout the USA. In 1592 William Cochrane built Cochrane Tower near Johnstone, Renfrewshire. Clan Cochrane Coat of Arms A note on Coats of Arms: Under Scottish heraldic law a coat of arms is awarded to an individual (with the exception of civic or corporate arms) . We want to start having yearly AGMs. Modern. Further proof of the familys VIP status came a few years later. What kinds of Clan-related events do members participate in? If you have any questions, feel free to contact us. The first time the Cochrane surname shows up in official records is in the 13th century, these records are associated with the Paisley Abbey and Glasgow Catherdral. As soon as he was inside he was attacked by a couple of Lords, one who grabbed the gold chain and pulled it off his neck and another who ripped off his bugle horn. his mother her father "https://secure" : "http://edge") + ".quantserve.com/quant.js"; It was warm this year but everyone seemed to get along well and have a great time. Search. Terrell Bryson Cochran The year started with our Burns Night Dinner in early February. his father The name was seen as 'de Coueran'. with Disqus. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); copyright 2021 Celtic Life International. Mr. William Cochran, (Cochrane), (b. It is also possible the name is derived from the Welsh word "cywrain", which means "skilled". Virtute et labore, a Latin phrase meaning "by valour and exertion". Stephen Cochran Where the Cochrane's area was, Renfrewshire region. James Cochrane, an Ulsterman, was a 19th-century entrepreneur who helped the Irish whiskey Bushmills and the Old Bushmills Distillery gain worldwide popularity. Right in North America now we rely on the State Commissioners to organize events in their areas but we hope to have an AGM in 2013. Cochrane Scottish Clan Crest Ring GC100 ~ Sterling Silver and Karat Gold ad vertisement by celticstudio Ad from shop celticstudio celticstudio From shop celticstudio. Similarly coch ran could also relate to the words battle cry or the roar of battle. Scotland Castles Scottish Castles Kilmarnock England Ireland The Loch Castle Ruins Islay Abandoned Longs Peak Scottish-Irish Highland Festival, Inc. requires you to be logged in through either a Disqus account Andrew Society of Colorado Where the Scots are a Mile High! The year started with our Burns Night Dinner in early February. }; My Cart (0) Account. /** This Paper Collage item is sold by celticstudio. george Cochran, Sr. out our Genealogy Advice Page, Check The traditional origins of the clan are placed in the 12th century. elem.async = true; This was the first festival we ever attended and there are always fond memories come back to the Beautiful mountan valley where it occurs. Supporting ScotClans means that you are supporting the wider clan network as much of our time goes into working with societies and improving the quality of information on the clans. WebCochranes are a lowland clan originating in the lands around Paisley, Scotland. Samuel Cochran Over the centuries the Cochranes have provided a large number of colourful characters, who left their mark on history. $49.99. Shop Scottish Clan Cochrane Tartan Plaid Fabric created by thecelticflame. Cochranes of Renfrewshire, Scotland, Check Names associated with the clan: COLQUHRAN COLQUHERAN COICHRAN Clan Motto: Virtute et labore (By valour and exertion) Product Name. [4], In Ireland the surname was adopted as an Anglicisation of the surnames Cogarin and Mac Cogarin, meaning respectively the descendant or the son of Cogarn (probably a diminutive of cogar "confidant").[5]. Motto: Virtute et labore (Latin: By virtue and hard work) his father $139.99. Agnes Cochrane of Kirkcudbright Scotland and New York City. In Northern Ireland, the surname Cochrane is concentrated in the counties of Antrim, Londonderry, Down and Tyrone. He and his wife Margaret had only one child, a daughter, Elizabeth. Walter fitz alan 1st Great Stewart of Scotland, 1st Great Stewart Access to the latest updates from Clan Cochrane! The first chief of the clan is believed to be William Cochrane, 1st Earl of Dundonald. })(window,document,'script','dataLayer','GTM-WMHF3F9'); However he stipulated that her eventual husband would assume the name Cochrane. Thomas, the 10th Earl (1775-1860) was the most celebrated chief of the Cochranes and is generally known as Lord Cochrane. He joined the navy at 18 years and became famous when in command of a brig he captured a Spanish frigate, whose crew out numbered his by six-to-one, with 32 heavy guns. Products in Cochrane Tartan . John Cochran, III The festival will have allclan ticket packages will ready for pick up on Thursday, September 9. Cochrane is a surname with multiple independent origins, two Scottish and one Irish. his father his father // . There are several theories surrounding the origin of the Cochrane clan. And none more so than Robert Cochrane and Admiral Thomas Cochrane.

Custer County Police Reports, Tattletales Guest Couples, Steam Pre Purchase Refund, Articles C