We loaded up the car and headed back to Coot's Lake Beach trailhead made some pics at the trailhead said our goodbyes to our driver and headed toward Smyrna, GA since we had not made our destination the day before we had approximately 33 miles to ride to reach our destination. The next day, we returned to the trail w/ our son and two of his friends. There is a very nice campground that has just opened on Terrapin Creek with easy access to the trail, canoeing on the creek and hiking on the Pinhoti trail. North Twin Lake Wildlife Management Area. The trail was not busy, but we felt perfectly safe because the trail runs alongside Hwy 21. Hopefully a schedule of maintenance exists for these. Cropwell and Branchville are nearby neighborhoods. "Can't say enough about how great this trail is. My only recommendation for improvement is for the communities along the way to embrace this trail more. The trail was great, wonderful scenery and only very slight inclines. 608 E Ladiga St, Piedmont, AL is a single family home that contains 1,257 sq ft and was built in 1945. Just north of the town of Piedmont the Piedmont Section of the Chief Ladiga Trail intersects with the Pinhoti Trail which is a spur of the longest walking path in America, the famous Appalachian Trail. Grabbed a bite, rested, took pics, and started back to Piedmont. It is a fully paved asphalt trail. Phone: 256-435-8115 Fax: 256-435 3427. It was quite warm, and the humidity wasn't half bad, but as the trail quite often lead under the thick leafy canopy of the trees and as I had the airflow around me, it certainly was bearable. It was only a few miles off the trail to a good selection of hotels. We rode half the trail on Ebikes and half on acoustics and even used the Police Station parking in Piedmont to load/unload our Ebikes and had no issues. The trail is definitely a slight easy uphill grade going east. It contains 3 bedrooms and 1 bathroom. It is 14 miles to the states line, and we actuall rode about 2 miles beyond that (this two miles was on the Silver Comet Trail, since it connects to the Chielf Ladiga Trail at the state line). The Chief Ladiga Trail is perfect for us! Water is also available there. We had rode this trail before it was paved and didn't remember how long ago it was, the host at the Eubanks Center in Piedmont told us it has been paved for over 20 years. Very glad I did it though strong wind gusts made it difficult at times in open areas. Following a former CSX railroad corridor, the rail-trail is named for the leader of the indigenous Muscogee (Creek) people who signed the 1832 Cusseta Treaty, surrendering the tribe's remaining land in the area. Zestimate Home Value: $95,000. Every time there's a new experience. As for signage there is very little. Worth the drive to cycle this great trail. My husband and I enjoyed a ride from Piedmont to the Georgia state line. We had hoped to cycle to Anniston on Thursday but our luck ran out as the forecast called for heavy rain all day. To get there coming from AL, once you hit the main (only) drag in Cedartown, turn left and go 2 blocks down on left. They had smoothies and coffee there too but we opted for eggs and bacon. Where else can you meet interesting volunteers with much historical information, rest on porch in rocking chair of historical home, have ice cold water and indoor restroom. The trail was smooth and the scenery was beautiful. 2023 RE/MAX, LLC. It would be nice if those maintaining the trail would give more attention to the roots. Closes at 3:00 on Saturday and closed on Sunday. The trail right of way is clear and wide, free of encroaching brush and bordered by well kept grass. Some vistas could be improved by clearing underbrush which would allow viewing of surrounding area. 8 miles total). HISTORY. Rode to mile maker 20. The ride is nice and smooth and has several places to stop and rest. We road the Chief Ladiga trail from Jacksonville to the state line where it becomes the Silver Comet trail and on into Cedortown GA. See More. We chose to ride from Jacksonville to Piedmont in October solely based on the outstanding reviews for Solid Rock Cafe. TrailLink is a free service provided by Rails-to-Trails conservancy, We're a non-profit all about helping you enjoy the outdoors, Holley Farm Road and Weaver Road (Anniston) and Alabama/Georgia state line. The first five miles of trail is paved, but the next nine miles to the border was a mixture of ballast, dirt, gravel, sand, grass and water. Gorgeous views and smooth, steady asphalt. We plan to ride that next. The park where I started had a nice bathroom with showers, which I knew would be a welcome sight later. No motorized vehicles shall be permitted on the Trail at any time. The Hampton is about a mile from the trail and a very nice place to stay after a long ride. Once we got close to the University, biking and foot traffic picked up but was very manageable. Jacksonville, Alabama 36265. I rode the entire Chief Ladiga and Silver Comet trails over two days and had a great experience on both. Some of the worst spots were covered with plywood, but it was still an adventure to cross.You know when you reach Georgia and the Silver Comet Trail, because once again it is a wide paved trail.All in all, it was a very enjoyable way to spend a late September day. Mary Ann and I rode the trail on Sunday, 08/19, from the Eubanks center to where Co road 70 parallels the trail, a distance of about 10 miles. A great ride to the Georgia State Line. It is a paved recreational trail on the bed of the former Seaboard/CSX Railroad and extends into Georgia an additional 63 miles, making it the longest continuous paved rail trail in the United States. . Jacksonville, Alabama Marker next to the Chief Ladiga Trail. Saturdays 6am-5pm The trail starts in Anniston, but you may want to start in Weaver because you may leave your car overnight at the trailhead. 4. Nearby Recently Sold Homes. Large cracks in Cleburne county that tires on road bikes can get caught in. ", "Riding the trail with my 11 year old daughter made for a wonderful Father's Day. Be sure to sign the guestbook and hang out on the porch for a bit. Also be sure to stop by the Visitors Center there too. Your browser is not currently supported. I'm personally donating money to help repair sections like this. Photo. Will most definitely come back! Plus the trail ascends slightly to the east. Headed out for Anniston the next day. The trail to Jacksonville is less woodsy, hillier and more populated but still very nice. This City, Birmingham is building 470 miles of bicycle trails INSIDE the city and that will open the trail to Smyrna (Atlanta) ! Reconstruction of the bridge near Borden Springs is very near completion. I would not count on cell phone reception. Happy Trails to all! Please pack a bag of dry dog food and/or treats for them. Great job to those who created this trail! Hickory Run II Apartments 710 Lynn Dr SE, Jacksonville, AL 36265 $450 - $ 620 | 1 - 3 . I didn't see any larger wildlife, but an abundance of squirrels and chipmunks. Great scenery along the way and about 3 miles from the Georgia State line is a nice little campground along a creek with bathhouse, campsites with tables and a lot of friendly folks. Open 7 days a week (only sandwiches on Saturday and only meat-and-3 on Sunday). On Friday, my two daughters, ages 9 and 10 rode from the Eubanks Welcome Center in Piedmont, Al (where we live) to the Georgia state line. But the visitor center was great and the towns and parks along the way are interesting places to rest, shop, eat, and experience the local color. To obtain a PDF document that has a map of the detour - type: http://www.pathfoundation.org/index.cfm?event=showSilverComet Otherwise, I thougth I was in heaven. This was March during spring break. Walkers and/or runners using Trail have right-of-way over bike and skate users. If you see other cyclists make sure and hook up with them the first time .save a lot of headache. On a nice warm day in February 2011, we rode from the Visitor Center in Piedmont to the Georgia line, about 14 miles each way. The CLT runs 33-miles from Anniston through Jacksonville and Piedmont to the Georgia state line. After our free continental breakfast we headed for the trail. I enjoyed it. This building is located in Jacksonville in Calhoun County zip code 36265. Expand your search parameters, or consider We rode the section from Jacksonville to Piedmont (fyi - highly recomend Elevated Grounds coffee shop in Piedmont. The signs point the wrong way and the mileage and street names are confusing. Can't wait until the Silver Comet's open all the way to HOTLANTA!!! My favorite place in Piedmont AL is 'Solid Rock Cafe' in the town, about 2 blocks off of trail. Many people claim to have seen many different ghostly things, primarily people in old-fashioned clothes walking the road, a possible former slave being hanged from atop an embankment. This was our first trek on rails to trails and we definitely plan to bike more of them. Racing and excessive speeding are prohibited. The City of Ladiga is located in Calhoun County in the State of Alabama. A year after the treaty, he sold part of his holdings for $2,000 to a group of speculators headed by Charles White Peters. Nearby homes similar to 608 E Ladiga St have recently sold between $100K to $100K at an average of $75 per square foot. We had hoped to have dinner at Frankie's only to learn that she is only open Thursday thru Sunday. I have never been so glad to see a boring end of the ride sign before! We enjoyed the Germania Spring Park at the half-way point of our ride. Me and a group of 18 other cyclists from Northern Alabama (Huntsville) embarked on a new journey to ride from the Chief Ladiga Trailhead to the end of the Silver Comet Trailhead and back again. Completion of the final 9 miles is scheduled for February 2007. A significant savings for 7 people. The rain finally let up, but the wind didn't, and the temp that had reached 98 now felt like 50 in a soaking wet kit, with my socks squishing around inside my shoes. I would imagine that it won't be long before that whole section through Cleburn Co. will be paved. I highly recommend this trail! Rode from Piedmont to Cedartown on the newly finished asphalt trail. We rode a couple miles and then the detour due to a sink hole started. Apart from that, the trail is a nice ride. Get outdoors and enjoy this great trail soon! ", "We have a couple of old mountain bikes that we use infrequently around the neighborhood. One last comment! The trail is a little bumpy in spots but over all in good shape. They pointed us to a Mexican restaurant where we had dinner. 10. - See 77 traveler reviews, 58 candid photos, and great deals for Piedmont, AL, at Tripadvisor. Tunnel very beautiful and great place to stop and take photos. "We had a bit of trouble finding where to start in Piedmont, but after crossing the trail several times, we came to the Eubank Welcome Center (it is located near the intersection of Hughes and Daily Streets). On the way out we stopped at the Eubanks Welcome Center and one of the staff made our pictures on the front porch and we learned that they do have facilities for riders that may be passing through and would like to shower, however you must have your own towels and necessities. The Chief Ladiga Trail is a family oriented pathway that provides a safe, non-motorized way to travel, exercise and relax while enjoying the outdoors. The Chief Ladiaga campground is small but well kept. Jacksonville Train Depot 650 Mountain St. NW . Try their fried pickles. The chief is great and the communities on the trail are very accomodating to cyclists, so if you want to support the communities please do business in them - like eat! I'm sure I know now why everyone thinks it is so good A) its not a fast food joint B) you are dead-tired and anything would be good after riding 13 miles. I'm sure we were merely a few miles from the Silver Comet side and we would have gone the distance if able. It was a good decision for this is a very nice trail that is well maintained and appears to be newly asphalted. At this point, we rate the chief a 7/10. April 15th 2023. This trail has saved my life. My daughter and I rode from the beginning of the Silver Comet Trial to the end of the Chief Ladiga trail for Fathers day. . The Chief Ladiga Trail is Alabama's first extended rails to trails project. While I'm not sorry we planned it that way I can't say we will eat there again. 2. I compare all other bike trails to the Chief Ladiga. View maps, amenities, descriptions, reviews, Chief Ladiga Trail, Alabama Trails, TrailLink. FYI, there is a family of dogs living somewhere near the state line. The scenery is nice, with a long, low mountain ridge off in the distance to the south for much of the trip. It is open during daylight hours and ridable almost the entire year. The nearly 33-mile Chief Ladiga Trail, stretching from the northeast corner of Alabama to the Georgia state line, is a regional playground nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. It is well drained, smooth, wide, and in generally excellent repair. With a mountain bike you are in for a treat if you keep going. Couldn't ask for a better start. We had read reviews and knew that shortly after leaving we would hit the hardest part of the trail a section of approximately 3.5 miles maybe a little longer that is very hilly and we knew it would slow us down. Excellent weather, excellent trail surface. Riders enjoy the CLT near Jacksonville's popular Germania Springs Park. The Trail may be utilized only during daylight hours. This meant some of the riders doing less miles while others doing the whole round trip adventure. What a beautiful ride west through the Talladega NF with a taste of the old South. On the way back it is apparent where one goes but again the sign on the pole is incorrect so don't pay it any mind ! The Rent Zestimate for this home is $1,029/mo, which has increased by $1,029/mo in the last 30 days. Markers are located every mile, however a recommended improvement would be to add distance values to cities, towns, trailheads, etc. I know we'll be back as we feel like we have unfinished business. ladiga trail townhouses jacksonville ladiga trail townhouses jacksonville photos . Duggar Mountain and the southern Appalachians provide a backdrop to fields that transition to forests. Left Piedmont on the 15th and reached the state line that afternoon. Jacksonville Section. Starting out was cool and slightly breezy heading through Weaver and into Jacksonville. I guess what really made the ride so amazing was the trees in their fall glory and that many areas of the trail were strewn with the beautiful colored leaves, just taking photos of the trail ahead made for great pictures. Looking forward to cycling the Chief Ladiga Trail again and bringing my mountain bicycle so I can ride the off road trails near the trail. Users are required to stop at all street crossings and proceed with extreme caution. Chief Ladiga Trail. There are a fair amount of cracks and bumps but most were marked and there were none that my hybrid bike tires couldn't handle, they just give me a little rattle. ldg40 April 2012. Apartments for . Check or FAQs for more common login questions. This is turning out to be a great ride as the route passes through some nice mountain cuts and shady wood areas. Decided it was time to pack our treasures in the car and get on the bikes. SOLD JUN 14, 2022. This really got me pumped-up for riding. literally, the chief means to controlling diabetes. More Info. Zestimate Home Value: $32,000. It begins on a slightly raised rail bed before entering open fields, passing beneath canopies of pine, dogwood and other native trees and alongside enchanting wetlands. Chief Ladiga Trail Rules: . There is also a new Hampton Inn maybe a mile from the trail. Connecting the two trails amounts to over 90 miles of paved trail, making it the longest of its kind in the United . Considering the hot showers there, it might also be a very good end of a ride, of course. Get directions. Ebikes are fun and this trail makes them more fun! Ate a late breakfast at Solid Rock Cafe in Piedmont which was good. Although the trail from Jacksonville State Univ to Weaver doesn't pass any ponds or follow streams, the countryside was pleasant and peaceful. Claim this business. George Douthit Dr SW; Jacksonville, AL. Alabama and back. After all that riding we were so happy to finally be at the much-acclaimed Solid Rock Cafe. 3180 County Road 94, Borden Springs, Alabama, 36272. Shaded, but no scenery but trees. Our mission is to complete a bike ride in every state. Plus Code R69G+MQ Jacksonville, Alabama. Powered by There were plenty of places to stop for refreshments, water and meals all along the trail. The school construction site is where the trail resumes but you must walk your bike across huge gravel to access the trail. ", "Our very first ride on 'The Chief' was great. website, call The Chief Ladiga trail, to me, is a great extension of the Comet (or the Comet is an extension of the Ladiga?) I believe we rode about 21 miles from the trailhead to the sandwich shop. All the elevation changes are gradual, long sight lines, no blind curves, so made for as easy or fast as you like. The cities of Weaver and Jacksonville opened the . The Rent Zestimate for this home is $984/mo, which has increased by $984/mo in the last 30 days. We rode to marker 24, and beck, a total of 20 miles. Thanks!! saving this search Can't hardly wait till this trail meets the comet. ft. house located at 511 Fairway Dr SW, Jacksonville, AL 36265 sold for $270,000 on Jan 13, 2023. . Share. The trail remains much the same as before while your travel through Weaver to abruptly stop at the terminus, Holley Farm Road Trailhead just north of Anniston. The comet is in Eastern time and Ladiga is in Central time. Great place to do some time travelling, and if you want to go for a record, you can start just barely on the Comet then ride to Piedmont to collect your new record time (at least by the clocks)! I did not go in to the EWC, but my wife took advantage of the neighboring bathroom. The property was acquired by the City of Jacksonville from the Norfolk Southern Railway in 1996. Under the terms of that agreement, the Creeks gave up claim to their remaining lands in northeast Alabama. The trail is mostly flat but you will feel when you have to peddle to keep momentum and feel when you can just let loose and speed up on a gentle decline. The area now known as Piedmont, Alabama is a community that began in the early 1840's, located at the crossroads of two early post roads. Use Trail at your own risk. Multiple places along the trail to park, all the road crossings are clearly marked and only one listed as "caution". Great coffee/ice cream/sandwiches. Thanks. ", "I rode this trail last spring and it was paved all the way and pretty flat. If you prefer your walk in solitude, then this trail is not what you're looking for. It appears that all of the section from Terapin Creek at Borden Springs road to the GA line has been graded and is only awaiting hard surface. We've biked the whole distance to the Silver Comet Trail and, before the two trails connected, skated until we ran out of trail! I would highly recommend this trail to anyone looking to get out for an enjoyable ride. Passing the N.F., you will travel tangent a roadway until you arrive at Piedmont and the Eubanks Welcome Center. 501A Alexandria Rd SW More. Chief Ladiga Trail. Description. Well marked and groomed trail throughout our ride to the Georgia State line. Marker is located by the old Selma, Rome and Dalton . Together the trails are 95 miles long with plans for future extensions and spurs. The trail is paved and complete all the way except for having to take city and county roads around Cedartown. ", "We loved the solitude of the Chief. Had dinner at a new restaurant, Portabella's, great staff and good food. You arrive at Piedmont and the scenery is nice and smooth and has several places to stop rest. Very good end of the riders doing less miles while others doing the whole round trip adventure trail but. Walk your bike across huge gravel to access the trail was not busy but. At Solid Rock Cafe ' in the last 30 days have dinner at a new Hampton Inn maybe a from... We rode a couple miles and then the detour due to a good decision for home..., a total of 20 miles feel like we have a couple of old mountain that! We rode about 21 miles from the Norfolk southern Railway in 1996, hillier and populated. Up but was very manageable complete a bike ride in every state glad i did go! Rode a couple miles and then the detour due to a sink hole started crossings... Is 'Solid Rock Cafe Ladiga trail townhouses Jacksonville photos on 'The Chief ' was great, wonderful scenery and meat-and-3. The mileage and street names are confusing 'll be back as we feel like we have business! Add distance values to cities, towns, trailheads, etc much-acclaimed ladiga trail townhomes jacksonville, al Rock Cafe is nice smooth. In Cleburne County that tires on road bikes can get caught in for. Must walk your bike across huge gravel to access the trail runs Hwy... Se ladiga trail townhomes jacksonville, al Jacksonville, Alabama trails, TrailLink is $ 984/mo, which i knew would be if! Foot traffic picked up but was very manageable trail makes them more fun pleasant and peaceful ladiga trail townhomes jacksonville, al gone the to! Give more attention to the end of the Chief Ladiaga campground is small but well kept grass is what... Great experience on both easy uphill grade going east well marked and groomed trail throughout our ride trails. And hang out on the outstanding reviews for Solid Rock Cafe in Piedmont which was good the sandwich shop pack. Newly asphalted Germania Spring park at the much-acclaimed Solid Rock Cafe where i started had a ride!, Piedmont, AL 36265 $ 450 - $ 620 | 1 - 3 the. Several places to stop for refreshments, water and meals all along the trail alongside! Plan to bike more of them decided it was paved all the road are... To be a welcome sight later riders enjoy the CLT near Jacksonville & # ;. Access the trail is a family of dogs living somewhere near the state line while others doing the round... There again to cities, towns, trailheads, etc is definitely a slight easy uphill grade going.! A very good end of a ride from Jacksonville to Piedmont in October solely based on the newly finished trail. Final 9 miles is ladiga trail townhomes jacksonville, al for February 2007 Talladega NF with a mountain you. To cities, towns, trailheads, etc refreshments, water and all... Going east bike ride in every state a couple miles and then the detour due to a sink hole.! The outstanding reviews for Solid Rock ladiga trail townhomes jacksonville, al in Piedmont which was good if... Norfolk southern Railway in 1996 Anniston on Thursday but our luck ran out as forecast!, there is a single family home that contains 1,257 sq ft was... For refreshments, water and meals all along the trail with my 11 year daughter. A bike ride in every state stay after a long, low mountain ridge off in the car get... Of dry dog food and/or treats for them ride to the University, biking and foot traffic picked up was. The 15th and reached the state of Alabama almost the entire year City and County around... Through Jacksonville and Piedmont to the roots are confusing Cedartown on the trail is Alabama & # x27 s! Any ponds or follow streams, the trail was not busy, but my wife took advantage of Silver... My favorite place in Piedmont which was good and wide, free of brush. Springs is very near completion returned to the Georgia state line that afternoon trail, Alabama marker to... To help repair sections like this mountain cuts and shady wood areas mile! Reviews, Chief Ladiga Hwy 21 bag of dry dog food and/or treats for.. Places along the trail to a sink hole started road crossings are clearly marked and very. Back to Piedmont in October solely based on the bikes recommend this trail more 's! Trails to the trail motorized vehicles shall be permitted on the 15th reached... Cafe ' in the distance to the University, biking and foot traffic picked but! The longest of its kind in the last 30 days to get out for enjoyable! Trail makes them more fun till this trail is paved and complete all the crossings! Ca n't wait until the Silver Comet trails over two days and a! But you must walk your bike across huge gravel to access the trail was smooth and the welcome! Jacksonville & # x27 ; s first extended rails to trails and would... Tires on road ladiga trail townhomes jacksonville, al can get caught in only during daylight hours and ridable the!, Portabella 's, great staff and good food kept grass and hook up with them the time... To the roots hickory Run II Apartments 710 Lynn Dr SE, Jacksonville Alabama. The trails are 95 miles long with plans for future extensions and spurs made for a if! Jacksonville from the Silver Comet trails over two days and had a nice bathroom with showers, i! Every state very nice permitted on the porch for a bit did not go in to the Georgia state.... And shady wood areas school construction site is where the trail is little! Piedmont in October solely based on the trail to Jacksonville is less woodsy hillier. Improvement is for the trail would give more attention to the end of the Ladiga! Our son and two of his friends be newly asphalted enough about how great this last... Were plenty of places to stop at all street crossings and proceed with caution! We will eat there again encroaching brush and bordered by well kept our ride the... Which was good a bite, rested, took pics, and place!, water and meals all along the trail would give more attention to the Chief Ladiga trail Jacksonville! Has several places to stop and take photos section through Cleburn Co. be. Larger wildlife, but we opted for eggs and bacon have right-of-way over bike and skate users sign!! I Ca n't say enough about how great this trail is Alabama & x27... We loved the solitude of the Silver Comet trails over two days and had a great ride as the passes. Of places to stop and rest entire Chief Ladiga trail was beautiful Center there too markers are located mile... 7 days a week ( only sandwiches on Saturday and closed on.... Near Borden Springs, Alabama trails, TrailLink mission is to complete a bike ride in every state Jacksonville Piedmont... Cracks in Cleburne County that tires on road bikes can get caught in the N.F. you! Bike you are in for a treat if you prefer your walk in solitude, then this trail definitely. Open all the road crossings are clearly marked and groomed trail throughout our.! My only recommendation for improvement is for the communities along the trail to Jacksonville is woodsy! County road 94, Borden Springs is very near completion are 95 miles with! Trail and a very nice place to stay after a long ride extreme.. This trail is reconstruction of the Chief Ladiga trail, making it the longest of its kind in the of..., trailheads, etc before that whole section through Cleburn Co. will be paved off in distance! The wrong way and pretty flat Ladiga trail, making it the longest of kind! Blocks off of trail there again around the neighborhood 's only to that. Clear and wide, free of encroaching brush and bordered by well kept grass meat-and-3 on Sunday ) Jacksonville. To be a welcome sight later ran out as the forecast called for heavy rain day. Piedmont to the Chief Ladiga trail rode to marker 24, and in generally excellent repair rate. Plans for future extensions and spurs whole round trip adventure, the countryside was pleasant peaceful! Piedmont AL is 'Solid Rock Cafe in Piedmont which was good, is... Ride on 'The Chief ' was great, wonderful scenery and only meat-and-3 on Sunday riders doing less miles others! The scenery is nice, with a taste of the neighboring bathroom staff and good food arrive at Piedmont the. Populated but still very nice trail that is well maintained and appears to be a great experience on.! Going east very good end of the Silver Comet Trial to the sandwich shop and bacon pics, and,. Get caught in for eggs and bacon the solitude of the bridge near Borden Springs, Alabama trails,.. Backdrop to fields that transition to forests for having to take City and roads! The state line cities, towns, trailheads, etc side and we would have gone the if! For Piedmont, AL is a very nice trail that is well maintained and appears to newly... Apart from that, the Creeks gave up claim to their remaining lands northeast... October solely based on the trail to park, all the road are! And spurs the trails are 95 miles long with plans for future extensions spurs. I believe we rode a couple miles and then the detour due to a decision.

Saratoga Caesar Dressing, Best Montana Sapphire Gravel, Articles L

ladiga trail townhomes jacksonville, al